Sunday, May 11, 2008

Terry Spears - Before She Was Published

Before I was Published

Terry Spear

Before I was published, I was a reserve Army officer, working to mobilize forces. But since I was young, I loved to create stories and I was an avid reader, took creative writing in junior high, but I never thought I’d be a “real” writer.

When my kids were little, I read to them all the time, and I thought, wow, I want to write a children’s book. I wrote them and sent them off and one even went to a senior editor. But she wrote back saying it was a great story but too similar to one already being published.

So I didn’t write for a number of years. Then I divorced and I had two small children to raise on my own. Sometimes great shakeups is what a body needs to finally get them on track.

I wrote the great American romance novel set in the old west…and then learned that historicals, especially western, didn’t sell well. Back to the drawing board.

At the time, paranormals were becoming popular and I’d always loved ghost stories and Dracula. But I wasn’t ready for the really hardcore stuff yet. I started with psychics. However, it was a ghost teen book and vampire and witches teen book that sold first. Good news.

Bad news? The company closed the line before the first of the two books came out. Undaunted, I knew I’d found my niche. And two years later, sold the first of a werewolf adult series. Heart of the Wolf spawned three more in the series, and my publisher bought all of them.

What makes them unique? The world. The characters are one with their wolf side and I did a lot of research into individual wolf behavior and group behavior. I’ve always loved doing research for my stories, so by incorporating werewolf legend and real wolf attitude, Heart of the Wolf and the rest of the series was born.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde

www.terryspear.com

www.terrywildeteenbooks.com

No comments: